What is the Center for Student Involvement (CSI)?
The Center for Student Involvement is the campus department through which groups register as a student organization at UC Davis. We are here to help groups operate successfully on campus and to support the educational experience which organizations provide for student members – as well as the entire campus community. Each year thousands of important programs and services are offered by student organizations at UC Davis. Student organizations play an integral role in the quality of the campus environment and the educational process for students, faculty, staff, and the community at large. Their programs directly enhance and support academic and career preparation, cultural diversity and awareness, campus tradition, public service, leadership, personal growth, and a greater understanding of the world around us.The experiences which students personally gain through participation in co-curricular activities help them meet friends, clarify values, apply classroom learning, gain a sense of accomplishment, develop role models, and learn to work cooperatively with others. These experiences not only reinforce personal development and contributions during a student’s education at UC Davis, but also provide skills, behaviors, and insights for use throughout life.
The Center for Student Involvement is located on the 4th floor of the Memorial Union. We are open Monday to Thursday, 9am-6pm, and Friday, 9am-5pm.
How we can help you and your group
The staff of CSI are all experienced program consultants and administrators. We have extensive knowledge about students organizations and co-curricular activities, event planning, campus and community resources, and campus, local, state, and federal policies and procedures. In addition, we can provide you with information, guidance, services, and support with the following:
- Registration of your group
- Fundraising: what it is, how, when, and where you may do it
- Club Finance Council and other funding sources for your group
- Leadership development and team building for officers and members
- Group problem solving and conflict resolution
- Participation in the annual Activities Fair
- Campus awards for individuals and groups
- Other applications and deadlines
- Scheduling of appointments with program coordinators
- Mailboxes and storage space
- Financial accounts and EIN forms to obtain a banking ID number
- Other campus resources
The Center for Student Involvement empowers students to be responsible members of society and fosters respectful communities at UC Davis. We believe that students enhance their education through co-curricular experiences. We give students opportunities for campus involvement, leadership development, community service, cross-cultural competence and collaboration by providing resources and support to student organizations and programs. We further support the recruitment and retention of a diverse student body.
We promote the UC Davis Principles of Community which affirm the right of freedom of expression within our community and our commitment to the highest standards of civility and respect, by helping students learn from each other in a safe and constructive environment.
We accomplish this mission by practicing the following values:
- Accountability: We are accountable to our students and the state of California to provide students at all levels with opportunities to develop skills and abilities that enable them to be productive and contributing participants in a global society.
- Student organization support: We serve as a neutral and unbiased resource to all student organizations. We provide registration, education and support services to these organizations to promote organizational development and to facilitate their programs and activities, which enrich campus life, contribute community service and promote opportunities for student development.
- Leadership development: We promote leadership skill development through training and resources for student organization leaders and through community leadership retreats.
- Advocacy: We advocate for registered student organization interests and CSI programs, and for the inclusion of student input in University planning, policy setting and decision-making.
- Freedom of expression: We strive to maintain a safe environment conducive to activism and the expression of diverse viewpoints by implementing time, place and manner regulations and nurturing a climate of respect.
- Diversity: We value the recruitment and retention of a diverse student body by providing student-initiated outreach programs and opportunities for students to explore their identity and develop strong communities and cultural programs.
- Guidance: We facilitate individual student and student organization learning by publicizing, explaining and applying campus policies and procedures.
- Stewardship: We are committed to being good stewards of the funds we receive and using them wisely and efficiently to serve students and fulfill the mission of the University.
- Accessibility: We continue to apply current technology to provide easy access to our information and services.
- Productive work environment: We are responsible for maintaining a supportive work environment where employees take pride in their work, are fairly compensated, are provided adequate resources to do the job and are recognized for their efforts.