New Student Organization Registration
Are you looking into starting a new organization on campus? You have come to the right place! The steps for new student organization registration are listed below.
STEP 1: Determine Your Organization's Purpose
It’s crucial that you spend time determining the purpose and category of your organization. Each student organization is required to describe clearly and specifically the purpose of the organization. If the stated purpose is too vague or general, you will be contacted to provide more information. The purpose of the organization should be consistent with the educational nature of the University and will be publicized on the student organization’s AggieLife profile.
While this is not required, creating a constitution for your organization can be helpful for your student organization to have a vision and a base to follow and refer back to. Want to learn more about creating a shared vision among your officer team? Check out our leadership tips!
If you are seeking to create a fraternity or sorority, you must contact Payton Troske, Sorority and Fraternity Life Coordinator, at email@example.com to review the process for recognition. OSFL review and approval is required before you may pursue the CSI registration process.
STEP 2: Select an Organization Name and Type
Once you have determined your organization’s purpose, it’s time to create a unique and clear name for your organization! Please be aware of the following rules and policies regarding the use of UC Davis in your organization’s name, and duplicate organization names:
- Student organization names must comply with University Name and Trademark policy. All variances of names and visual representations of the University of California, Davis, are considered UC Davis trademarks. The marks include any trademark, service mark, name, logo, insignia, seal, design, or other symbol or device associated with or referring to UC Davis. Also included are any word, phrase, or image that implies association with the University, such as “Cal Aggie” or “Go Ags!”
- The University owns these trademarks and must approve their use.
- Student organizations may use the University name (including any abbreviation) only to describe its location, but not as part of its name. Example: “Service Club at UC Davis” is permitted, but “UC Davis Service Club” is not permitted.
- Student organizations may use the term “Aggie” as part of a name, but not “Cal Aggie.” Example: “Aggie Cultural Association” is permitted, but Cal Aggie Cultural Association” is not permitted. [If the name of your group is the same as, or very similar to, that of another group (campus or off campus), then you must clearly differentiate your group’s name. Terms that may help you differentiate your name include “at UC Davis” or “Campus Chapter of.” Examples: Campus NOW, Campus Chapter of Girl Scouts.
- With the permission of Center for Student Involvement, student organizations may use the “UC Davis” logo, “Go Ags!” logo, or athletics logos. Groups are not permitted to use the University seal or “Cal Aggie” logo.
- Anyone violating the provisions of California Education Code 92000, which prohibit use of the University name without permission, is guilty of a misdemeanor. We urge groups to review all publicity materials used in any event they sponsor to insure accurate representation. Since individuals may be misled into thinking the University is associated with an event that uses its name, the University is exposed to potential liability should someone suffer damage or injury at the event. The University will seek indemnification from groups for any damages it may suffer as a result of unauthorized use of the University’s name.
Your student organization can be one of the three types: Undergraduate, Graduate, or a combination of both.
STEP 3: Select Three Officers
Select up to three currently registered UC Davis students who will be officers of the organization. Primary Officer, Secondary Officer, and Financial Officer are required. Each officer will need to complete the registration process by completing the Officer Orientation.
You will also need to delegate one to two out of the three officers to be Authorized Reservers, if you plan to make on-campus reservations. The Authorized Reservers are responsible for reserving space on campus for events and meetings.
STEP 4: Complete Terms and Conditions
As part of registration renewal, each officer must complete online Terms & Conditions, as it aims to equip officers with the tools and skills needed to understand the different policies and procedures in running a student organization.
STEP 5: Complete the New Student Organization Registration
To register a new organization, navigate to the Organizations tab at the top of the AggieLife homepage. You will see a button that says “Register an organization” on the left side of the page underneath the search options.
Clicking “Register an organization” will start your organization registration process. From there, you will be asked to complete a number of steps. You might be asked to fill out a profile, select interests, or upload an organization roster. Learn more about each of these potential steps and for help about how to complete them.
Click “Next” at the bottom of each page when you have completed the step to progress to the next step in the process. You will have the chance to review each step before submitting your completed registration.
When you are finished, click “Submit for Approval” to send your request to CSI. Learn more about how to view the status of your submission or to update it after submitting it.
Important: Registration Form submissions may remain pending for 30 days. If after 30 days, the requirements are not complete, the submission will be denied.
STEP 6: Attend In-Person Meeting with CSI Staff
A CSI staff member will contact the student to schedule an in-person meeting with an option to bring other members along. At the meeting, the CSI staff member and student leader(s) discuss the mission and purpose of the proposed student organization, responsibilities of proposed officers, etc.
STEP 7: Receive Final Approval and Next Steps
Pending CSI approval for the new organization, completed orientation, next steps include receiving your mailbox number, CSI Primary Contact, and agency account activation.
Receive your CSI mailbox number. Once your organization is approved, you will receive an on campus mailbox number, located in the Center for Student Involvement Office, on the 4th floor of the MU. Please keep in mind that this mailbox is for letters only – no packages will be accepted!
You are highly encouraged to open an Agency Account. Agency Accounts are required for reserving classrooms and campus facilities as well as applying for grants from CFC and Beyond Tolerance. To open an Agency Account, you are required to pay the $35 annual fee. Although it differs from a typical bank account in that you have no checkbook, it may be used as the organization’s general operating fund for all income, expenditures and campus recharges. Agency Accounts expire on June 30 of the academic year in which they were activated.
Two of the three officers identified in your Registration Form may serve as Authorized Reservers. Authorized Reservers have access to make reservations on behalf of your student organization. In order to gain access, Authorized Reservers are required to complete an online Authorized Reservers Training.