Policies & Guidelines

*Policy 270 includes policies regarding: registration, membership, relationship to the university, reservations, posting information, and agency account services
*All RSOs are required to follow all UCOP Policies as they are the overarching UC-system wide policies for registered student organizations.

For more information please see:
Policy 270-05
Policy 270-05 Exhibit B

UCOP Policies Applying to Campus Activities, Organizations, and Students

UC Davis Policy on Registered Student Organization Conduct and Discipline Appendix B

For policies regarding health and safety for COVID-19:
Interim Health and Safety Services Policy

Your Title Goes Here

Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.


Conference and Event Services is the department responsible for the policy regarding alcohol use on campus.

Source Document: PPM 270-21 Sales, Service, and Consumption of Alcoholic Beverages 

For additional details, see Alcohol Permit Guidelines.

UC Davis strives to maintain a campus free from the illegal use, possession or distribution of controlled substances. Manufacture, sale, distribution, dispensation, possession, or use of alcohol and controlled substances by University students and employees on University property, at official University functions, or on University business is prohibited (except as permitted by law), University policy and campus regulations. Students violating these policies are subject to disciplinary action, including Suspension or Dismissal from the University, and may be referred for criminal prosecution and/or required to participate in appropriate treatment programs.

All state laws regarding alcohol and drug use apply on campus, as it is not a “sanctuary” from state law. All drugs made illegal by state and federal law are also prohibited by University policy.

A Permit is required for a group to use alcohol at a campus function. Campus departments and organizations may request permission to hold a group-sponsored event at which alcoholic beverages are served.

University policy allows the use of alcoholic beverages on campus at group events under conditions that:

  1. reasonably protect the interests of the University;
  2. reduce the liability of the University;
  3. indicate that alcohol is incidental to the program being presented;
  4. prevent over-indulgence; and,
  5. support the laws related to alcohol use.

Decisions to approve or deny alcohol use on University premises are reached after an examination of specific event characteristics. Permits are not issued when either a single or a combination of characteristics creates adverse conditions for the University. In some cases special requirements may be imposed on an event to create an acceptable situation.

CES Alcohol Permit Approval Guidelines

A number of planning characteristics are evaluated whenever a request is made to serve alcoholic beverages on University premises.

Amplified Sound

Conference and Event Services is the department responsible for the amplified sound policy.

Source Document:  Permit to Use Sound Policies and Guidelines 

The following policies and guidelines have been developed to assure that amplified/ or sound at events held on the UC Davis campus is maintained at a reasonable level and is not disruptive to campus activities or community residents.

UC Davis is dedicated to the principles of free expression and supports the rights of both individuals and groups to use amplified sound to communicate with others. However, as a campus community with many diverse interests and responsibilities, these guidelines have been developed to provide fair and reasonable opportunities for everyone.

The residence halls have specific policies governing amplified/ or sound in those areas. Please consult the Student Housing Office at (530) 752-2033 for information.

Please read the following policy carefully and prior to completing and submitting an application for outdoor amplified sound to Conference & Event Services.


  • A permit must be issued by Conference and Event Services (CES) for any outdoor use of amplified/ or sound on campus. Permits will not be approved if the sound may interfere with classes, the orderly administration of the University, or unreasonably disturb campus and community residents.
  • The applicant MUST have the permit present at the event and available for inspection upon request by any University Official, Officer or Police Services Specialist of the Davis Police Department, otherwise the permit becomes null and void.
  • Sound checks must be conducted within the hours sound are allowed as indicated on the approved Permit to Use Outdoor Sound.
  • Speakers must be positioned carefully in order to prevent sound from disturbing persons not in the immediate area. Atmospheric conditions, buildings and the surrounding terrain can greatly influence the effect of amplification. All speakers must be at ground level.  Raised or double height speakers are not allowed.  The set-up should be carefully checked before each event and monitored occasionally during the event by the sponsor.
  • The level of sound must be limited to reach only the immediate audience.
  • If sound level complaints are received, the University reserves the right to terminate sound (amplified or otherwise) or to terminate any event that may involve potential personal liability, property damage, or campus/community disruption.


All requests for outdoor sound must be submitted on the Permit to Use Outdoor Sound Form to Conference and Event Services no less than five working days prior to the activity or event and be approved by the Director or Senior Manager of CES. Forms must be complete including specific details such as event title, speaker or performer name, time, etc. Incomplete forms will not be considered.

ARC Space Reservations
Candle Light Vigil Protocol

Safety Services is the department responsible for the candle and open flame guidelines on campus.

Source Document: PPM 390-40 Fire Safety

For detailed Candle and Open Flame Guidelines, see here.

Student-sponsored procession/vigil coordinators, should contact the Center for Student Involvement (CSI), no less than 72 hours prior to holding an event to get assistance with obtaining a permit from Fire Prevention. In order to support our students and insure that campus policy restricting the use of open-flame devices is upheld, please inform your student(s) that Student Affairs will provide fire department approved candles that will be distributed by CSI at no cost to the student vigil sponsor.

Per the Candle and Open Flame Guidelines, candle light processions/vigils must use candles with drip guards, or must be battery operated. Tea light candles are also acceptable as long as they are not hand-held and are contained in an approved holder. Pillar candles will be approved outdoors only. Open flame candles must be accompanied by a designated person carrying a fire extinguisher for the duration of the procession/vigil. Hand-held open flame devices are prohibited inside of facilities. Processions/vigils are to extinguish candles prior to entering university facilities.

Student Affairs support is available to student and student organization-sponsored vigils, not department or community vigils.

Cash Handling Guidelines
  • When handling cash or checks, your group must make every effort to ensure that all forms of currency are collected, transported and deposited into your organization’s account successfully in a secure and timely manner.
  • Create reasonable and reliable procedures for your group so there is no ambiguity regarding the responsibilities of students handling group proceeds.
  • Each group should have two designated persons responsible for handling cash and checks, to provide protection for both the organization and the individuals. They must maintain accurate records verified by both and be responsible for reporting receipts to the organization regularly or on demand.
  • Have an easily readable and retrievable system for recording how much money is received, from whom, on what date and for what purpose.
  • Keep funds in a code or lock protected cash box until you are able to make a deposit. Do not carry around group money in your wallet or backpack.  Do not leave cash/checks in a group office, a place where people congregate, or unsecured in a personal residence. Deposits should be made within two business days.  Do not delay deposits for more than a few days waiting to accumulate all income.  Deposits should be clearly identified for future reference.
  • Student organization leaders should become familiar with the Agency Account Policies for Student Organizations to ensure full compliance with all related policies.
Distribution of Literature

Student Affairs is the department responsible for the policy on distribution of literature on campus.

Source Document: PPM 310-25 Distribution of Information and Literature

Distribution of literature is allowed under the following regulations, which are intended to prevent interference with the free flow of persons and traffic, and with the regular activities of the University.


  1. Literature to be distributed must be of a non-commercial nature.
  2. Literature must clearly indicate the name of the sponsoring person or organization.
  3. Distribution shall not obstruct the free flow of traffic.
  4. Materials may be offered to the public but shall not be forced upon individuals.
  5. The sponsoring person or organization may be held responsible and charged for clean-up associated with the distribution of literature. Violations of this policy are also subject to Student Conduct guidelines and administrative responses that could affect use of facilities or other privileges offered to the group by the University.


  1. During Meetings: Materials may be distributed during meetings only by University individuals and groups and only when the department head or organization has approved such distribution.
  2. In Departments: With prior permission of the department head, free non-commercial literature such as pamphlets and brochures may be left in waiting areas, lobbies, or lounges assigned to a specific
  3. In Mailboxes: Only materials relating to University business may be distributed by placing copies in departmental mailboxes.
  4. In Residence Halls: Materials may not be distributed in on-campus student residence facilities or left in stacks near student residence mailboxes without prior permission from the Student Housing Office. See Reaching the Residents in Student Housing for more details about this policy and other marketing opportunities.
  5. In the MU: Flyers may be left at the MU Campus Information Center on the 1st floor of the MU. The information must include your student group name, UC Davis and be advertising a group sponsored event.


  1. Any person may hand-distribute literature in University outdoor areas open to the public generally, except that materials may not be distributed in outdoor areas surrounding on-campus student residential facilities without prior permission of the Student Housing Office. This activity shall be consistent with maintenance of University property and the free flow of persons and traffic, and shall not interfere with the normal activities of the campus. Interference with facility entrances is strictly prohibited.
  2. Bulk distribution of periodical publications, whether free or for sale, requires the prior approval of the Director of MU Auxiliary Services, who is located on the fourth floor of the Memorial Union.
  3. Outdoor table distribution of literature is restricted to designated areas near the Memorial and Silo Unions. Reservations for outdoor tables must be made through the MU Campus Information Center and tables must always be attended.
  4. Materials may not be distributed by placing copies on or in vehicles (including bicycles) on University properties.


  1. Publications produced by registered student organizations through AS Papers, that meet criteria established by the Campus Media Board, may be distributed in designated racks on campus. Contact the AS papers for details.
  2. When any party (off-campus non-profit groups or registered organizations) wishes to solicit funds for literature while using a reserved table, that party must receive prior approval; registered student
    organizations from CSI, and off-campus non-profit groups from Campus Events and Visitors Services.
  3. The campus mail is for official University business. Materials may only be distributed through the campus mail by campus organizations for communications with members with campus addresses and for
    conducting the organization’s business with campus departments.
  4. Employee newsletters, Dateline and UCDMC Update, may be used, on a space-available basis, for announcement of public meetings of campus organizations that are of general interest.
Event Security

UC Davis Police is the department responsible for policies and guidelines related to security on campus.

Source Document:  Campus Security 

All activities taking place on University property are reviewed to determine the level of security that is to be provided. This review is initiated during the facility reservation process and events are evaluated based on University security guidelines. The guidelines include such criteria as type of event, number of people expected, presence of alcohol, advertising or promotion of event.

If it is determined that an event requires special security arrangements, Aggie Hosts will be assigned. The Aggie Hosts system provides most of the security services needed at events, although police officers may sometimes be assigned. Aggie Hosts are arranged through the reservation/event approval process. Sponsors are charged for any security personnel assigned to their events.

The services that clients can expect from security employees include crowd control, parking and traffic control, crime prevention and response to emergency situations.

Facility Attendants

Conference and Event Services is the department responsible for the policy regarding the use and reservation of university properties and event arrangements.

Source Document:  PPM 270-20 Use and Reservation of University Properties/Event Arrangements

In accordance with the Campus Events Security Guidelines, Facility Managers/Reservation Coordinators will determine if events presented in campus facilities require a facility attendant/manager. Reservations of large paid facilities (holding programs designed to attract many people) usually include the assignment of facility staff.

Sponsors will be charged for the facility staff in accordance with existing policy.

Facility Decorations And Alterations

Conference & Event Services is the department responsible for the policy regarding the use and reservation of university properties and event arrangements.

Source Document:  PPM 270-20 Use and Reservation of University Properties/Event Arrangements

Any event in a University building which involves the use of decorations must adhere to the following guidelines:

1. Paper streamers are not permitted unless made of flame retardant paper.
2. Dry vegetable materials are not permitted unless treated with flame retardant and approved by the Campus Fire Department.
3. Butcher or construction paper is allowed in limited amounts if applied flat against a wall and at a sufficient distance from exits.
4. Use of scotch tape, staples, tacks, nails, duct tape, glue and screws are not permitted. Masking tape is permitted, but must be removed after use or a fee will be charged. Decorations are not permitted which would obstruct the use of exits or fire protection equipment.
5. Open flame devices or candles are prohibited in University buildings. Exceptions for fixed open flame devices must be approved by UC Davis Fire Prevention Services.
6. Fire permits are required for amphitheater bonfires held at Putah Creek Lodge.
7. Campus Unions Facilities have additional guidelines. Please consult Facility Managers.

Film/Video Copyrights

The Office of Research – Technology Transfer Services is the department responsible for the policy related to copyright issues.

Source Document: PPM 250-01 Copyright

Registered student organizations wishing to show films or videos on campus must comply with all applicable University rules and regulations and local, State and Federal laws that govern the use of these materials. In general, use of copyright-protected materials by anyone, including registered student organizations, other than for private “in-home” viewing, requires permission in the form of a written license from the copyright holder or authorized representative.

It is possible that the copyright owners may be willing to grant this permission for free when the purpose is explained. Groups are advised to request permission well in advance of the desired show date, as these requests are usually a very low priority for the copyright holders.

Groups also may enter into a contract with a commercial licensing company that obtains copyright permission, but such contracts typically involve a significant cost.

Per Policy and Procedure Manual section 270-05, groups are responsible for becoming familiar with relevant policies, rules and regulations. While not intended to be a comprehensive list for such compliance, registered student organizations may not:

• Use a University facility for the viewing except for those normally allowed for student use for personal viewing of such materials.

• Charge for viewing the movie, although donations towards the rental/license cost may be accepted so long as not required.

• Advertise the viewing.

• Organizations should remember that any license or contract relating to organization activities are entered into by the officers of the registered student organization as individuals, and that the University will not be responsible for any costs or legal proceedings which result from failure to follow laws, rules, regulations, or policies.

Fire Safety

The UC Davis Fire Department & Fire Prevention Services are the departments responsible for the Fire Safety policy.

Source Document:  PPM 390-40 Fire Safety

Fire and safety regulations require persons, groups or organizations that are responsible for meetings, programs or performances in any University classroom or auditorium adhere strictly to the following:

1. Except when entering or leaving the room, no person or persons shall be allowed to sit or stand in any doorway, aisle or passageway that is meant to serve as a means of emergency exit from the room.
2. The number of persons admitted to any classroom or auditorium shall not exceed the posted number.
3. No seats shall be added to any classroom or auditorium without first obtaining written permission from the Campus Fire Chief or his/her authorized representative.
4. In areas in which row seating is set up from time to time (i.e., meetings, theater productions, concerts) a minimum of twelve inches (front to back) must be left open between each row of seats.
5. Fire Prevention will conduct periodic inspections to insure strict compliance by all persons concerned. NOTE: Sponsoring groups shall be held accountable for violations.


Environmental Health & Safety is the department responsible for the policy on food service.

Source Document: PPM 290-40 Health and Safety Services

For reservations/events on campus, there are specific policies and procedures related to Catering, Concessions, Food Trucks, Potlucks and Self-Catering. Furthermore, not all campus facilites support consumption of food or beverage. Please work with your Facility Manager to ensure you are in compliance.

Providing Food

Food is not permitted in classroom facilities per the University Registrar.

If your organization would like to provide food at your events where food is allowed, please refer to Event Food Service Guidelines.

If the food you would like to provide is not individually wrapped/prepackaged then you are required to have a meeting with your Facility Manager to ensure it is suitable for the given venue.

If the food you would like to provide involves on campus preperation or service, you are required to consult with on campus catering (Olive & Vine) who has first right of refusal.

Selling Food

Food and beverage (other than bake sales) may not be sold on campus by student organizations and sport clubs on campus except on Picnic Day and Culture Days, or under very limited and specific conditions.

All food and beverage sales require advance approval by CSI, Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S), Fire and, if applicable, University Dining Services, to determine compliance with detailed regulations. Food preparation must take place in a University-approved kitchen and organizations must attend a mandatory training. Contact CSI for more information.

Bake sale guidelines apply whether the food is sold or provided for free.


Conference & Event Services is the department responsible for the fundraising policy on University property.

Source Document:  PPM 270-16 Fund Raising on University Property

For University purposes, fundraising is defined as “any activity in which money is collected on campus.” Even if all you wish to do is break even or recover costs, your activity will be considered fundraising if money is collected. A separate Application to Raise Funds must be completed and approved for each fundraising activity. Some examples of fundraising are tournament entry fees, t-shirt and bake sales, ticket sales including events held off campus, raffles and soliciting donations.

PLAN AHEAD!  In order to raise funds on campus, you must have prior approval from CSI. Ask questions, check out your ideas, and get approval for your project early.

Who Can Raise Funds
  1. You must be a currently registered student organization or sport club in good standing.
  2. You must have an off campus bank account or a on-campus Agency Account to apply for the approval to raise funds on campus. (Note: Fraternities and sororities must have a separate account for the money they raise on campus which is distinct from the accounts used to pay for property expenses such as mortgage payments, rent, property improvements, maintenance, etc.)
  3. Someone in your organization must serve the function of Treasurer/Financial Officer, who will keep thorough and accurate records of income and expense
How to Apply to Raise Funds
  1. Complete and submit the Application to Raise Funds on AggieLife to CSI.
  2. If your event is in a reserved campus facility:
    • Submit your reservation request to Conference & Event Services (CES).
    • Complete fundraising approval from CSI as part of your reservation approval process before the cancellation date of your reservation.
  3. If you plan to sell an apparel item (i.e., t-shirts, caps, sweatshirts, etc.) or button/bumper sticker with text or design, you must complete and submit the design of the item with the Application to Raise Funds. Prior to ordering or printing any product, be sure your application has been approved by CSI. If the event is sponsored by a professional school organization, the Application to Raise Funds must be signed by the designated department representative.
  4. Within 7 business days, you will be notified through AggieLife about the status of your application. If your activity is approved, you will receive a Permit to Sell (if applicable) and the fundraising approval will be provided for your reservation process.
Fundraising Options

The following activities require advance approval from CSI:

  1. Collecting donations at meetings, events or MU/Silo Union outdoor tables (facility or table reservation required).
  2. Charging admission to scheduled events such as speakers, conferences, films, tournaments and dances (requires facility reservation through CES and use of Ticket Office; films require written permission from copyright holder; see Film/Video Copyrights Policy).
  3. Conducting sales at approved events or at MU/Silo outdoor tables (facility or table reservation reservation required).
  • Non-commercial items related to the purpose of the organization or event. Student-produced publications, posters, group t-shirts, arts and crafts made by members are considered non-commercial.
  • Items purchased and resold “as is” constitute a commercial activity which is prohibited on campus.  Selling items/services on campus on behalf of a commercial business (subscriptions, credit cards, etc.) is also prohibited.
  • Commercial items may be considered only when the group changes or enhances the item (e.g., delivers flowers with a message; creates a mixed candy package) to reduce concern over commercialization.  Your group must demonstrate “value added” to the item and the name of your group must be on the item.
  • Baked goods made by members must follow Bake Sale Guidelines. Sale of any other food and beverages is generally prohibited except as described under “Special Fundraising Requirements” below.  Baked goods purchased and resold (i.e. Krispy Kreme Donuts) are not permitted.
  • Items handcrafted by a member  sponsored by the organization as a vendor to raise funds.
  • Items must be sold by members of the organization.
  • Sponsorship of a vendor cannot exceed seven consecutive days.
  • The sponsoring group must receive at least 5% of the gross income from such sales, and a written agreement signed by the vendor and the organization to this effect shall be presented to CSI.

The following activities do NOT require advance approval from CSI:

  • Collecting membership dues at a club meeting.
  • Applying for campus grants. Some include Club Finance Council (CFC) and Student Recruitment and Retention Center, and there are many others.
  • Concessions coordinated by Student Housing and Dining Services.
  • Soliciting donations, gifts, or sponsorships from off-campus individuals, businesses, or organizations does not require CSI fundraising approval when the solicitation takes place entirely off campus. However, organizations must explicitly state that they are acting in a private capacity and not as a representative of the University. The name of the University may not be used except to identify the location of the group.
How Funds Raised on Campus May Be Used

Funds cannot be used for personal gain and must always be consistent with the purpose of the organization/club. The funds that your group raises may be used to cover the costs of the following types of expenses:

  • Instructors, speakers, films
  • Publicity
  • Operational costs, postage, office supplies, and AV equipment
  • Transportation
  • Literature
  • Equipment, if related to the purpose of the organization (sports equipment for sport clubs, etc.)
  • Conferences and retreats (funds may be used to send delegates to conferences or to host retreats or conferences)
  • Facility use fee
  • Social activities
Fundraising Policies
  1. All registered student organizations must have prior fundraising and approval and must clearly identify itself when raising funds. Professional School Organizations must have their designated department representative sign the Application to Raise Funds prior to submitting it to CSI.
  2. All registered student organizations must have a financial account (campus Agency Account or off campus bank account) in order to raise funds on campus. They must also have a Treasurer/Financial Officer who maintains accurate records of the group’s income and expenses.
  3. Individuals are not permitted to raise or solicit funds on campus, with the exception of student government candidates who may solicit funds to participate in student government elections.
  4. No individual member may profit from an organization’s fundraising on campus nor may a member normally be a paid participant in a fundraising event. This policy is not intended to prevent legitimate and fair compensation when an individual member contributes to the event through his/her artistic, musical, dramatic, or other talent.
  5. Student organizations are not permitted to raise funds on campus for the purpose of making rent or mortgage payments. A registered student organization may apply to raise funds on campus for capital improvements on its facilities that it can demonstrate will benefit the organization’s program.
  6. Student organizations are charged a reservation fee for use of campus facilities for all fundraising activities. The University does not subsidize fundraising on campus by student groups. This fee is currently $32 per room per day, in addition to any facility rental fees.
  7. Student groups sponsoring events on campus that are open to the public and that charge admission or request donations for admission are required to arrange and report ticket sales and receipts through the Campus Box Office.
  8. Student organizations may not sign any contracts on behalf of the University or act as its agent.
  9. Student organization planning to use an off-campus or commercial promoter to help sponsor or organize an on-campus event must contact CSI for special guidelines before making any arrangements or contractual agreement. Publicity and promotion must make it clear that the function is sponsored by that organization acting in a private capacity and not as a representative of the University.
  10. Fundraising approval for donations and table sales will be approved for no more than one quarter at a time.
  11. Solicitation of donations in outdoor areas is prohibited except at tables immediately outside the MU and Silo, with prior reservation approval made through the Information Desk and fundraising approval through CSI.
  12. All fundraising activities shall comply with licensing and tax laws as well as University and campus regulations.
  13. If you are co-sponsoring a fundraising activity with another student organization, all co-sponsoring groups must complete a separate Application to Raise Funds and submit them together. Your activity will not be approved until all applications are received.
Special Fundraising Requirements

State law requires that raffle tickets and raffle contest publicity materials clearly indicate no purchase is necessary or donation to participate in the contest. Anyone requesting a free raffle ticket must be provided one. Printed tickets must have the name of the organization and, if a dollar amount is listed, the word “donation” must appear.

Food and beverage (other than bake sales) may not be sold on campus by student organizations and sport clubs on campus except on Picnic Day and Culture Days, or under very limited and specific conditions. All food and beverage sales require advance approval by CSI, Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S), Fire and, if applicable, University Dining Services, to determine compliance with detailed regulations. Food preparation must take place in a University-approved kitchen and organizations must attend a mandatory training. Contact CSI for more information.

The following requirements must be satisfied for your group to sell t-shirts, sweatshirts, caps, buttons or bumper stickers on campus:

  • Submit an Application to Raise Funds. You must obtain fundraising approval from CSI prior to printing the items for sale, prior to printing the items for sale.
  • Your organization’s name must be identified on the items you sell. You may not use the University name, except to describe the location of your group (e.g., “Social Club at UC Davis”).
  • The design must be related to the purpose of your organization.
  • The names or logos of any sponsors must be incidental in prominence to the name of your organization and the design or message of the item being produced

If you wish to use any form of the UC Davis name or logo, you must comply with University Trademark Guidelines.

A complete list of licensed vendors can be found under “All Licensees“.


Casino nights or poker tournaments can be conducted only under limited circumstances.  Poker tournament players cannot win any money or prizes, including trophies, only “bragging rights”.  Refer to Penal Code 337j(e)(1).

Cash Handling
  • When handling cash or checks your group must make every effort to ensure that all forms of currency is collected, transported, and deposited into your organization’s account successfully in a timely manner.
  • Create reasonable and reliable procedures for your group so there is no ambiguity regarding the responsibilities of student handling group proceeds.
  • Each group should have one designated person responsible for handling cash and checks. That person must maintain accurate records and be responsible for reporting receipts to the organization regularly or on demand.
  • Have an easily readable and retrievable system for recording how much money is received, from whom, on what date, and for what purpose.
  • Keep funds in a code or lock protected cash box until you are able to make a deposit. Do not carry around group money in your wallet or backpack. Do not leave cash/checks in a group office or in a place where people congregate. Deposits should be made as soon as possible.
  • Student organization leaders should become familiar with the Agency Account Policies for Student Organizations to ensure full compliance with all related policies.
Hate and Bias Reporting

As reflected in our Principles of Community, at UC Davis we are committed to confronting and rejecting “all manifestations of discrimination, including those based on race, ethnicity, gender, age, (dis)ability, sexual orientation, religious or political beliefs, status within or outside the university, or any of the other differences among people which have been excuses for misunderstanding, dissension or hatred.”  Accordingly, UC Davis strives to maintain an inclusive and diverse work and learning environment free of hate and bias.

To learn more, read the UC Davis Nondiscrimination Statement and Policies or visit the Hate and Bias Reporting website.

Hate and Bias Incident

A hate or bias incident includes non-criminal conduct that is motivated by hatred or bigotry and directed at any individual, residence, house of worship, institution, or business expressly because of the target’s real or perceived race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics), ancestry, marital status, age, sexual orientation, citizenship, or service in the uniformed services. Such incidents also include conduct directed against an individual or group because of their association with or advocacy on behalf of a member or members of a legally protected class.

Hate Crime

A hate crime is any criminal act or attempted criminal act directed against a person(s), public agency or private institution based on the actual or perceived race, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, disability or gender or because of associations with person(s) or groups identified with on of these protected categories. A hate crime includes an act that results in injury, however slight; a verbal threat of violence that apparently can be carried out; an act that results in property damage; and property damage or other criminal act(s) directed against a public or private agency.


Discrimination occurs when an adverse employment or educational action is based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition (including cancer-related or genetic characteristics), genetic information (including family medical history), ancestry, marital status, age, sexual orientation, citizenship, or service in the uniformed services.


Harassment is verbal or physical conduct that unreasonably interferes with a person’s work or education or creates an intimidating, hostile, or offensive working or learning environment when that conduct is based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition (including cancer-related or genetic characteristics), genetic information (including family medical history), ancestry, marital status, age, sexual orientation, citizenship, or service in the uniformed services.

Freedom of Expression

UC Davis is committed to assuring that all people may exercise the constitutionally protected rights of free expression, speech, assembly and worship. Some acts of hate or bias may not violate law or policy and may, in fact, be protected expressions of speech. Protecting freedom of expression, including controversial speech, and sometimes even offensive or hurtful words, is vital to our commitment to teaching and learning. While our policies do not prohibit such speech, the University encourages all members of the community to engage in respectful dialogue and to observe the Principles of Community and review the Freedom of Expression webpage.

If you believe you have witnessed, or that you have been a target of, discrimination, harassment, or a hate- or bias-motivated incident on campus or while participating in a University-sponsored activity, you may make a formal report to the university in the following ways:

Anonymous options:

  • Use the online option and do not enter your name and/or contact information.
  • Call the Anonymous Call Line at the Harassment and Discrimination Assistance and Prevention Program (HDAPP) at (530) 747-3865.
  • Visit one of the following confidential resources. Reporting to one of these units will not trigger an official report to the University, except when legally mandated:
    • Center for Advocacy Resources and Education The Center for Advocacy Resources and Education provides free, confidential crisis intervention, advocacy and    accompaniment services to any survivor of sexual assault, intimate partner violence or stalking. Services are available to any UC Davis student, staff or faculty regardless of gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, age or (dis)ability.
    • Counseling Services is a confidential service for all UC Davis students. Counseling Services is a multiculturally and educationally diverse group of psychologists, psychiatrists, social workers, family counselors, doctoral interns and peer counselors. They are an experienced staff committed to assisting students and enriching the university community through providing a broad variety of educational programs, psychological consultation and other types of university service.
    • Office of the Ombuds The UC Davis Ombuds Office is a confidential, independent, impartial, and informal problem-solving and conflict management resource for all members of the UC Davis campus community.

Non-anonymous options:

If you experience or witness an incident of hate, bias, discrimination, or harassment, please report it.


It is against the law for student organizations to conduct any activities which involve “hazing.” Violations may result in loss of registration as a student organization, action by the Office of Student Judicial Affairs, or referral to local law enforcement agencies.

California Penal Code Section 245.6

(a) It shall be unlawful to engage in hazing, as defined in this section.

(b) “Hazing” means any method of initiation or preinitiation into a student organization or student body, whether or not the organization or body is officially recognized by an educational institution, which is likely to cause serious bodily injury to any former, current, or prospective student of any school, community college, college, university, or other educational institution in this state. The term “hazing” does not include customary athletic events or school-sanctioned events.

(c) A violation of this section that does not result in serious bodily injury is a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars ($100), nor more than five thousand dollars ($5,000), or imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year, or both.

(d) Any person who personally engages in hazing that results in death or serious bodily injury as defined in paragraph (4) of subdivision (f) of Section 243 of the Penal Code, is guilty of either a misdemeanor or a felony, and shall be punished by imprisonment in county jail not exceeding one year, or by imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170.

(e) The person against whom the hazing is directed may commence a civil action for injury or damages. The action may be brought against any participants in the hazing, or any organization to which the student is seeking membership whose agents, directors, trustees, managers, or officers authorized, requested, commanded, participated in, or ratified the hazing.

(f) Prosecution under this section shall not prohibit prosecution under any other provision of law.

(Amended by Stats. 2011, Ch. 15, Sec. 299. (AB 109) Effective April 4, 2011. Operative October 1, 2011, by Sec. 636 of Ch. 15, as amended by Stats. 2011, Ch. 39, Sec. 68.)


Major Event Policy
MU Table Reservations Policy
Nondiscrimination Policy

The Center for Student Involvement is the department responsible for the non-discrimination policy for registered student organizations.

Source Document: UC PACAOS Section 70 – Policy on Registered Campus Organizations

Consistent with section 70.10 of the UC Policy on Registered Campus Organizations, the organizations will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition (cancer related or genetic characteristics), ancestry, marital status, age, sexual orientation, citizenship, or service in the uniformed services, except that membership in an officially recognized sorority or fraternity may be limited by gender.  This certification shall override any language to the contrary in the organization’s bylaws, constitution, or other documents, and approval of this application does not include approval of such contrary documents.

Policy on Conduct and Discipline

UC Policy on Student Conduct and Discipline

Chancellors may impose discipline for the commission or attempted commission (including aiding or abetting in the commission or attempted commission) of the following types of violations by students, as well as such other violations as may be specified in campus regulations:


All forms of academic misconduct including but not limited to cheating, fabrication, plagiarism, or facilitating academic dishonesty.


Other forms of dishonesty including but not limited to fabricating information, furnishing false information, or reporting a false emergency to the University.


Forgery, alteration, or misuse of any University document, record, key, electronic device, or identification.

Theft of, conversion of, destruction of, or damage to any property of the University, or any property of others while on University premises, or possession of any property when the student had knowledge or reasonably should have had knowledge that it was stolen.

Theft or abuse of University computers and other University electronic resources such as computer and electronic communications facilities, systems, and services. Abuses include (but are not limited to) unauthorized entry, use, transfer, or tampering with the communications of others; interference with the work of others and with the operation of computer and electronic communications facilities, systems, and services; or copyright infringement (for example, the illegal file-sharing of copyrighted materials). Use of University computer and electronic communications facilities, systems, or services that violates other University policies or campus regulations.

Unauthorized entry to, possession of, receipt of, or use of any University services; equipment; resources; or properties, including the University’s name, insignia, or seal.

Violation of policies, regulations, or rules governing University-owned, -operated, or – leased housing facilities or other housing facilities located on University property.

Physical abuse including but not limited to sexual assault, sex offenses, and other physical assault; threats of violence; or other conduct that threatens the health or safety of any person.

Harassment, defined as conduct that is so severe and/or pervasive, and objectively offensive, and that so substantially impairs a person’s access to University programs or activities that the person is effectively denied equal access to the University’s resources and opportunities.

Harassment includes, but is not limited to, conduct that is motivated on the basis of a person’s race, color, national or ethnic origin, citizenship, sex, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identify, pregnancy, marital status, ancestry, service in the uniformed services, physical or mental disability, medical condition, or perceived membership in any of these classifications. Pursuant to section 104.90, sanctions may be enhanced for conduct motivated on the basis of the above classifications.

For cases of harassment on the basis of sex, see also Policy on Sexual Harassment (pdf) and the Procedures for Responding to Sexual Harassment (pdf)

Stalking behavior in which a student repeatedly engages in a course of conduct directed at another person and makes a credible threat with the intent to place that person in reasonable fear for his or her safety, or the safety of his or her family; where the threat is reasonably determined by the University to seriously alarm, torment, or terrorize the person; and where the threat is additionally determined by the University to serve no legitimate purpose.

(deleted on October 9, 2009)

Participation in hazing or any method of initiation or pre-initiation into a campus organization or other activity engaged in by the organization or members of the organization at any time that causes, or is likely to cause, physical injury or personal degradation or disgrace resulting in psychological harm to any student or other person.

Obstruction or disruption of teaching, research, administration, disciplinary procedures, or other University activities.

Disorderly or lewd conduct.

Participation in a disturbance of the peace or unlawful assembly.

Failure to identify oneself to, or comply with the directions of, a University official or other public official acting in the performance of his or her duties while on University property or at official University functions; or resisting or obstructing such University or other public officials in the performance of or the attempt to perform their duties.

Unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensing, possession, use, or sale of, or the attempted manufacture, distribution, dispensing, or sale of controlled substances, identified in federal and state law or regulations.

Manufacture, distribution, dispensing, possession, use, or sale of, or the attempted manufacture, distribution, dispensing, or sale of alcohol that is unlawful or otherwise prohibited by, or not in compliance with, University policy or campus regulations.

Possession, use, storage, or manufacture of explosives, firebombs, or other destructive devices.

Possession, use, or manufacture of a firearm or other weapon as prohibited by campus regulations.

Violation of the conditions contained in the terms of a disciplinary action imposed under these Policies or campus regulations.

Violation of the conditions contained in a written Notice of Emergency Suspension issued pursuant to Section 53.00 of these Policies or violation of orders issued pursuant to Section 52.00 of these Policies, during a declared state of emergency.

Selling, preparing, or distributing for any commercial purpose course lecture notes or video or audio recordings of any course unless authorized by the University in advance and explicitly permitted by the course instructor in writing. The unauthorized sale or commercial distribution of course notes or recordings by a student is a violation of these Policies whether or not it was the student or someone else who prepared the notes or recordings. Copying for any commercial purpose handouts, readers or other course materials provided by an instructor as part of a University of California course unless authorized by the University in advance and explicitly permitted by the course instructor or the copyright holder in writing (if the instructor is not the copyright holder).


Conduct, where the actor means to communicate a serious expression of intent to terrorize, or acts in reckless disregard of the risk of terrorizing, one or more University students, faculty, or staff. ‘Terrorize’ means to cause a reasonable person to fear bodily harm or death, perpetrated by the actor or those acting under his/her control. ‘Reckless disregard’ means consciously disregarding a substantial risk. This section applies without regard to whether the conduct is motivated by race, ethnicity, personal animosity, or other reasons. This section does not apply to conduct that constitutes the lawful defense of oneself, of another, or of property.


Making a video recording, audio recording, taking photographs, or streaming audio/video of any person in a location where the person has a reasonable expectation of privacy, without that person’s knowledge and express consent. Looking through a hole or opening, into, or otherwise viewing, by means of any instrumentality, the interior of a private location without the subject’s knowledge and express consent.

Photographs and recordings made in private locations of sexual activity or that contain nudity, may not be posted online or otherwise shared or distributed in any manner without the knowledge and express consent of all recorded parties, even if the photograph or recording was originally made with the knowledge and express consent of those parties.

Making a video recording, audio recording, or streaming audio/video of private, nonpublic conversations and/or meetings, without the knowledge and express consent of all recorded parties.

These provisions do not extend to public events or discussions, nor to lawful official law or policy enforcement activities. These provisions may not be utilized to impinge upon the lawful exercise of constitutionally protected rights of freedom of speech or assembly.


“Express consent” is clear, unmistakable and voluntary consent that may be in written, oral or nonverbal form.

“Private locations” are settings where the person reasonably expected privacy. For example, in most cases the following are considered private locations: residential living quarters, bathrooms, locker rooms, and personal offices.

“Nudity” means the absence of an opaque covering which covers the genitals, pubic hair, buttocks, perineum, anus or anal region of any person or any portion of the breast at or below the areola thereof of any female person.

“Private, non-public conversations and/or meetings” include any communication carried on in circumstances that reasonably indicate that any party wants the communication to be confined to the parties, but excludes a communication made in a public gathering, or in any other circumstance in which the parties to the communication may reasonably expect that the communication may be overheard or recorded.

Political and Religious Activities

The Office of the Chancellor is the department responsible for the policy related to political and religious activities.

Source Document: PPM 400-01 Freedom of Expression

As a State instrumentality, the University must remain neutral on religious and political matters. Therefore, religious and political registered student organizations shall have access to University properties on the same basis as all other registered student organizations.

When University meeting areas are used for political or religious purposes, and when materials such as posters, notices, handbills, and banners are distributed or displayed on the campus for political or religious purposes, the use must conform to all general regulations concerning the time, place, and manner of speech or advocacy (see regulations on posting, distribution of literature, fundraising, non-University speakers, quad and outdoor speech areas).

Public expression in the form of freedom of speech and advocacy may be exercised on campus at such times and places and in such a manner as to assure orderly conduct; the least possible interference with University responsibilities as an educational institution; protection of the rights of individuals in the use of University properties; and reasonable protection of persons against practices that would make them involuntary audiences.

Students, staff, or faculty who are candidates for an off-campus political office shall have no extra or additional rights to post or exhibit materials on campus that advocate their candidacy. Off-campus candidates (like other non-University affiliated individuals) generally may not post or exhibit materials on campus. See posting guidelines.

These policies in no way constitute prohibitions on the right of any individual in the University community to express political or religious views. The University recognizes, supports, and shall not abridge the constitutional rights of faculty, students, and staff to participate, either as individuals or as members of groups, in religious activities and in the political process of supporting candidates for public office or any other political activity.


Facilities Management is the department responsible for the Temporary Postings policy on campus.

PPM 310-27 Temporary Postings 

Groups may contact Grounds at (530) 752-1655 to retrieve removed A-frames and stakes.

Commercial Advertising


University regulations prohibit the distribution of commercial advertisements on campus.


Commercial mail cannot be delivered by hand to student organizations and residence hall mailboxes. It must be distributed through the United States Postal Service. Mail must be individually addressed. When mailing to registered student organizations use the following address: University of California, Davis, Center for Student Involvement, Name of Student Organization, Box #___, One Shields Avenue, Davis, CA 95616-8706.


Contact individual newspapers directly for advertising and insertion rates. The Associated Students newspaper, “The California Aggie,” is located on campus in 25 Lower Freeborn Hall, (530) 752-8660.

Properties Use and Extracurricular Activities
Publicity and Theme Parties

These guidelines were created in alignment with the UC Davis Principles of Community.

Registered student organizations are encouraged to consider the Principles of Community when choosing their activities to prevent hurtful and divisive consequences that can result from stereotypical and degrading themes. Our campus affirms the right to freedom of expression and our commitment to the highest standards of civility and decency towards all.

Groups are invited to discuss any activity ideas with Center for Student Involvement if unsure whether an activity would be perceived as degrading or demeaning.

Sorority & Fraternity Life Community Policies

Check out the community policies for our sororities and fraternites on campus!

Symbolic Structures

Center for Student Involvement is the department responsible for the symbolic structure policy.

Source Document:  PPM 400-01 Freedom of Expression

Freedom of speech is important at UC Davis. The University is a marketplace of ideas where the discussion of a wide variety of issues is both desirable and encouraged. UC Davis students have chosen symbolic structures as a powerful means of communicating their ideas. Therefore, as a campus we have determined that it is appropriate to permanently designate a site as a “symbolic speech” area where such structures might be placed. This policy shall govern such structures.

A symbolic structure may be placed within the designated site by any registered student organization, campus interest group, or full-time student, staff, or faculty member upon completion of a reservation through Conference and Event Services (CES). Student sponsors (including student organizations) are encouraged to meet with the staff of the Center for Student Involvement to work out details of the proposed structure, prior to approaching CES for the reservation itself. Faculty and staff must work out details of the reservation directly with the staff of CES.

An area on the decomposed granite just off the northeast corner of the Quad is designated as an area for the placement of symbolic structures. This area is bounded on its east perimeter by East Quad Avenue; on the west by the Quad itself; on the north by the sidewalk running east and west just south of Memorial Union; and on the south by an imaginary line running perpendicular to the Quad and East Quad Avenue at a distance of about 65 feet from the north boundary of the site. Within this site, structures must be set back at least three feet from East Quad Avenue and at least six feet from the grassy edge of the Quad.

Reservations of the site will normally be limited to an area sufficient to adequately accommodate the symbolic structure placed on the site. Structures themselves will be limited in size to covering an area in the shape of a square, not greater than 12 feet on a side. Limits on height will be determined by CES consistent with issues of safety, construction, materials and taking into account the natural canopy of the trees. Any exceptions to these limitations must be worked out in advance with CES/Center for Student Involvement and in no event can structures exceed the setbacks and physical limits of the site itself.

Structures may be of a combination of materials, but they must be constructed so they do not cause a safety hazard to passersby. No structure can be of such construction so as to constitute a fire or safety hazard and in no event will fire or flame be permitted as a part of a symbolic structure.

Reservations may be made for one month from their inception. Extensions of one month up to the end of the academic quarter may be granted upon application to CES. To assure diverse points of view, extensions will not be granted if there are other sponsors with different structures or different points of view waiting for an available space in the symbolic structure area; or if the sponsor has been negligent in respect to these guidelines. The responsibility for timely removal of the structure rests with the sponsoring organization or individual. Symbolic structures not removed prior to the expiration of the reservation will be removed by the campus and the sponsoring organization or individual may be billed for the costs of removal. Use of the symbolic structure area normally will be suspended by CES for the duration of major annual events which have traditionally used this area.

The sponsor shall be responsible for any messages conveyed through its symbolic structure. The University shall not abridge a sponsor’s right to control the content of its message so long as the content is constitutionally protected expression. Use of this area must comply with all applicable University rules and regulations. As an example, commercial advertising is not permitted within the symbolic speech area.

Termination of Registration as a Student Organization
Tax Information
General Tax Info

Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) are registered with the University as independent and separate organizations from the University. Student groups are independent and autonomous from the University, and therefore, do not have access to the University’s tax-exempt status.

Nonprofit status may make a group eligible for certain benefits such as sales tax, property, and income tax exemptions. Recognition of Nonprofit status or Tax-exempt status is not granted solely by the taxing authorities. Nonprofit status can be a state law concept. An entity wishing to be recognized as Tax-Exempt and claim Nonprofit status must go through a federal and state approval and registration process.

To qualify as Tax-Exempt from federal taxes, a group must meet requirements set forth in the Internal Revenue Code. For more information, search or review Publication 557 on the IRS website. The IRS also has excellent resource material on the life cycle of a tax-exempt entity on its website that explains the appropriate procedures that a group must take to be tax-exempt and to maintain its exemption.

Because of the complexities of this subject and because regulations are subject to change, not everything can be covered in this manual. It is recommended that you contact the IRS and request Publication 557, How to Apply for and Retain Exempt Status for Your Organization, if you are interested in applying.

Tax ID Number or Employer Identification Number

Any RSO that will raise money and, therefore, spend money, will need to maintain proper financial accounts. These accounts should not be the same as any one individual’s account and should be set up by applying for a Tax ID or EIN specific to the group. Each taxpayer, or RSO, must have a Federal Taxpayer Identification Number (Tax ID).

Learn how to apply for an EIN.

The EIN is not a tax-exempt number. That term generally refers to a number assigned by a state agency that identifies organizations as exempt from state sales and use taxes. You should contact your state revenue department for additional information about tax-exempt numbers.

UC Davis Ticket Office

The Office of the Chancellor is the department responsible for the ticket sales policy.

Source Document:  PPM 270-45 Ticket Sales

The UC Davis Ticket Office is the department responsible for ticketed events on campus with the exception of events at the Mondavi Center.

The UC Davis Ticket Office is located at the ticketing windows on the north side of Aggie Stadium.

The Ticket Office can be reached at (530) 752-AGS1 (2471). Parking for ticket purchases is available in the small lot adjacent to the main entrance to Aggie Stadium.

All organizations and units sponsoring events of University property that are open to the public and charge admission or request donations for admission are required to arrange and report ticket sales and receipts through the UC Davis Ticket Office or the Mondavi Center Ticket Office.

Events sponsored by the UC Davis Department of Theater and Dance or UC Davis Department of Music, at any University venue, and all events occurring in the Mondavi Center for the Performing Arts will be ticketed through the Mondavi Center Ticket Office.

UC Davis Ticket Office (UCDTO) Policies

  1. UCDTO will conduct business only with the student listed on the AggieLife Event Form and the Application to Raise Funds completed for each event.
  2. All events require an event set up meeting with the Ticket Office manager to plan for event ticketing and to have the Request to Use Campus Facilities signed. Please call the UCDTO to set up this meeting.
  3. Required event information to be provided to the UCDTO includes name of organization, contact information for student contact, name of event, type of event, date, time, place, established admission prices and special requirements.
  4. UCDTO will provide an estimate for services at the event set up meeting.
  5. UCDTO offers free cash box service to registered student organizations and sport clubs for events that do not require tickets (e.g., bake sales, plant sales, consignment ticket sales, and other MU table sales). This service includes a cash box and provides a change fund for the duration of the fundraising event. To reserve cash box contact the UCDTO at least two working days prior to your event. There are a limited number of cash boxes that may be checked out from UCDTO for any given period. The UCDTO will provide any additional policies to each group at the event set up meeting.
Use of University's Name, Seal, and Other Trademarks

Failure to comply with any of the above University policies and regulations may result in administrative action and/or disciplinary sanctions. Administrative action may include, but not be limited to holds on organization activities or loss of active status. Organizations with inactive status do not have the benefits of Registered Student Organizations. To regain active status, a primary leader will have to request access to my RSO’s AggieLife page to remedy identified deficiencies. Reported violations of University policies will be reported to the Office of Student Support and Judicial Affairs (OSSJA). If found in violation, OSSJA may impose sanctions including, but not limited to conditional registration or revocation of registration status.